Welcome to CAAM Chinese Dance Theater!
The CAAM Chinese Dance Theater (CDT) is dedicated to preserving and celebrating our Chinese cultural heritage and enriching the cultural life of all Minnesotans through the universal language of dance.
Summer Camp Schedule Available
The summer camp schedule for two sessions at the Main Dance Studio is now published. The following is the schedule for the two sessions http://www.caamcdt.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-Summer-Camp-poster.pdf
The following is a helpful QA about CAAM CDT summer camps:
- What are the appropriate ages for the campers? Ages 5 – 12.
- What time are the sessions? Camp starts at 8:30 am and ends at 4:30 PM.
- I work during the day, are there options for flexibility? Yes, you can opt to have your child stay for an extra 1 hour (until 5:30) for an extra $5 per day.
- I see you have multiple sessions, if my child attends more than one session will the content be the same? No, the content will be unique for each session. This means students in different sessions will learn different dances.
- Will the children have an opportunity to showcase the new dances and skills they learned? Yes, End-of-the-session performance will be held on the last Friday of each session, usually 4pm to 5:30pm or 4:30pm to 6pm.
- Can these sessions be counted as dependent care for tax purposes? Yes, CAAM CDT has historically provided the necessary documents and receipts upon request.
- What are the dates and locations for summer camps? Session One is June 10th to June 28 at the CAAM CDT Studio. Session Two is July 8th to July 19th at the CAAM CDT Studio. Session Three is July 22 to August 2 at Xing Xing Academy in Hopkins.
- Do I need to attend a full session? No, we try to design the sessions to be flexible so that students can attend what fits into their busy schedules.
- What are the tuition fees for camp? Tuition: Session 1 – $555/3 weeks, $390/2 weeks, or $205/1 week. Session 2 and Session 3 – $390/2 weeks, or $205/1 week.
Are there any additional costs associated with camp? There is a $5 per week material fee that is icluded. There is also a $10 registration fee that is waived if students enroll and pay by May 30, 2013.
Is food provided? No, the students will be expected to bring their own lunches. They can be stored in the refrigerator. We also will have a microwave available. Students will also be asked to provide a snack for the group at one point during the session. Students should also bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. ,
Online Store Open for the Holidays!
Two Winners for the 20th Anniversary Logo Contest
We had two winners for our 20th Anniversary Logo Contest. Two excellent designs with two distinct approaches and purposes.
The first winner was an original drawing by Kathleen Jiang. In her own words, she states,
“In order to commemorate the 20 years of CAAM CDT’s progress, I thought it appropriate to illustrate the growth of the dancers literally. From left to right, the dancers are not only growing in age, but also in passion and technique. Finally, the last panel shows a dancer of the previous generation leaving the picture, but a young second generation dancer entering the picture.
While the dancers are an important part of my design, my center of focus is actually of the tree. Yes. There is only one tree. If you look carefully, all of the branches connect between the four panels symbolizing the four seasons. This not only shows the commitment of the dancers throughout the four seasons, but it also shows the passage of time and the growth and develop of the dancers, as well as of CAAM CDT. The fact that there is only one tree comes to signify the unity of the dancers and of the organization, as well as our dedication to our roots. In general, the tree can be taken as a metaphor for the far reaching and intricate Chinese culture.
I’ve had so many wonderful experiences at CAAM CDT and have grown so much through my experiences here. I hope that my design is able to show others the significance of CAAM CDT in the community.”
We will be using Kathleen’s design for the 20th Anniversary t-shirt, the recital program cover, and possibly for a banner that will be used an various anniversary events.
The second design was conceived by by Betty Rasmussen and created by Julie Lindstrom. This design features the number 20 composed of red-ribbons. The perfect way to celebrate 20 wonderful years. This design will be used in conjunction with our main logo.
Congratulations to both our winners. Be sure to look for these designs throughout our anniversary year.
CAAM Chinese Dance Theater
Help CDT celebrate 20 years by joining the 20 x 20 Club! The 20 x 20 Club is a special program for CDT supporters to give $20/month for 20 months. By joining the 20 x 20 Club, you will enable CDT to thrive as we go into the future. CAAM Chinese Dance Theater is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Subscribe to the 20 x 20 Club now!
You may unsubscribe from the 20 x 20 club at any time by clicking on this button.
Since 1992, CDT has served families and delighted audiences with some of the best locally-produced Chinese dance in the country. We are a community-based organization under the artistic direction of a world-renowned choreographer and teacher. A division of the Chinese American Association of Minnesota (CAAM), the oldest, largest Chinese American community organization in Minnesota, CDT performs before 15,000 live audience members every year. With a dance school, annual concerts, outreach performances, residency and workshop program CDT is the largest Chinese dance organization in the Midwest.
Chinese dance incorporates a variety of forms and styles of movement derived from 53 diverse ethnic groups traditions. Chinese dance involves not just unique Chinese dance sequences and movements but also the cultural and historical basis of the dances. Attending a performance at a variety of venues throughout the year, including our own annually produced show, is a great way to experience the vibrancy of Chinese dance. Participating in a residency, workshop, summer camp or year long class is a great interactive method to experiences the wonder of Chinese dance.
Our Chinese dance instruction is available through classes at our studio in St. Paul. In addition CAAM Chinese Dance Theater can design a custom program to meet your educational needs. CAAM Chinese Dance Theater can enhance Chinese language courses, history or cultural courses about Chinese dance by offering a entirely new in-depth cultural experience for students with little or no prior experience with Chinese language, art or culture.