Is Chinese Dance Right for Me or My Child?
CAAM CDT is pleased to offer a free, downloadable booklet to help you decide whether this art form might be right for you or your child. A summary of the most Frequently Asked Questions follows below:
1. Do I have to be Chinese or speak Chinese to take Chinese Dance lessons? No and No. CAAM CDT students come from a wide range of backgrounds. Many, if not most, do not speak Chinese.
2. Don’t you have to start really young? No. One of our most notable students, who went on to a professional dance career, did not start dancing until she was 24.
3. What is the minimum age one can start Chinese Dance? Our youngest student is 18 months, and our oldest student is 64 years old. For younger children, the ideal age to start Chinese Dance is when they can follow instructions from a teacher and pay attention independently.
4. Do you need prior dance experience? No. We have found that certain prior activities can be helpful when starting Chinese Dance, but students become proficient dancers even without these prior experiences.
5. Do dancers learn to dance en pointe? No. Chinese Dance incorporates incredibly intricate foot movements, but dancing en point is not one of them.
6. Do dancers have to compete for dance slots? No. CAAM CDT does not have “try-outs.” We make every effort to place your or your child with the appropriate peer age-group. We may recommend private lessons, extra classes, or “homework” (e.g., extra stretches at home) to help catch up if that is needed.
7. What does it cost? Every student at CAAM CDT receives a tuition subsidy of approximately $800-$1000 per year. Cost to the student averages $7-$9 per hour, which is highly competitive with other dance studios.
8. Do you offer scholarships? From time to time, through the generous support of the Stanley and Marvel Chong Foundation, CAAM CDT is able to offer limited, additional financial aid to some students. Calls for applications typically come out in February.
9. Isn’t Chinese Dance really hard? Chinese Dance is challenging but fun. Our program is designed to make sure every student will become proficient as they progress through the program.
10. More questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.