CAAM Chinese Dance Theater’s summer camps feature professionally trained and exceptionally talented members of the Chinese community who want to share Chinese culture, language, and the arts with campers. In addition to exploring Chinese dance, campers are introduced to various aspects of Chinese art and culture, with new programming each year. Plenty of arts and crafts, games, cooking, and, of course, dancing! Interactions with Chinese elders, and camp performances are also part of the experience.
Campers range in ages 5 to 16. Older campers are given opportunities to mentor others. In many cases CDT can offer teacher to camper ratios of 1:10 or even smaller. No prior dance experience is necessary.
Summer camp is also a great option for kids who’d like try Chinese Dance before committing to regular classes as well as kids who are or are looking to attend a Chinese immersion program!
During COVID we are monitoring the situation and will ask all campers to wear masks while at camp. They can expect to wash hands frequently and use hand sanitizer. As many outdoor time as possible will be scheduled at a park across the street. Staff will also be masked during summer camp. During mealtimes campers will be social distanced apart.
If this your first time, here is some additional information on what to expect and bring:
· Comfortable clothes to move but also fitted enough so the teachers can see if the camper is moving correctly;
· For performance days, a black camisole and leggings as well as flat/ballet type shoes are recommended;
(shoes can be purchased from the dance teacher for $10.)
· Snacks (1-2X) and lunches each day; Microwave may be available at St.Paul location.
· Electronics is encourage only for camp projects such as research, videotaping and photography
· Backpack or some kind of bag to keep everything together and organized;
· Water bottle; we don’t encourage any drinks with sugar or dyes;
· Shirt, preferably with buttons on front, that can be worn over other clothes for art projects using paint or glue
Half-day, full-day, and extended-day options are also available. Campers may come for 1,2,3 or 4 weeks. Check out this easy-to-share Brochure
Do you need a Summer Camp Scholarship? We are in the process of securing funding for camp scholarships for 2022. Learn more here, then click here to apply! We are accepting applications now, and the earliest applications will receive the highest priority.
Would you like to help a child in need attend Summer Camp? Please click here to learn more!